- I reserved my hotel and airline. I completed the LONG conference form including the classes I plan to attend, the editors and agents I want to meet, and the meals I hope to eat. By the time I was done, I had no idea what I had signed up for! Hoping I made good choices, I made notes in my journal about what choices I had made, set the conference on the back burner, and paid the bills when they came in (EEK!!! WHAT HAVE I DONE?).
- I signed up for the first timer's loop. I've been receiving hints about what I should do in preparation for the conference. Some of those things will be listed here. Unfortunately the loop also has a frightening effect, as in WHAT AM I DOING?
- I prepared a "one sheet" describing my new book A Time to Choose in concise and intriguing form in hopes of finding a publisher or an agent willing to take me on. Several iterations later, I printed 6 copies on nice stationary. Why 6? That's how many options I had to list on the conference registration to get 2 appointments with publishers/agents. I'll load it on a flash drive in case I need more copies.
- I printed business cards. Lots of business cards. With all conceivable ways to contact me! And with my picture. I also created a label with said contact info to stick on the back of my Gold Earrings business cards.
- I have finished, almost, editing and reprinting my new book A Time to Choose. I plan to load the digital copy and several other pertinent documents on $4 flash drives to give to anyone who can help me find a publisher or agent! Prayer for this is much appreciated.
- I bought flash drives on sale at Office Max.
Tuesday, September 4, 2012
Preparing for ACFW Conference
Several months ago I decided that moving to the next level in my writing career required attending the American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) Conference in Dallas in September. It's September! While I had attended the Greater Philly Christian Conference 2x in the past, the ACFW is much bigger! Here are things I am doing to prepare for ACFW in just a few weeks: